Stability Laboratory
Building number 111

Building 164 was built in 1928-30 as part of the Arsenal's rehabilitation project following the 1926 explosion. Like the other buildings of “Chemistry Row,” it was designed in the Colonial Revival Style, featuring a symmetrical facade, hipped roof , Flemish bond brickwork, brick quoins at the corners, copper gutters and flashing, six-over-six windows, splayed lintels, a formal Georgian pedimented front door with a granite sill on the south side, and a wrought iron stair railing on the west side.  The east and west sides each had a door and three windows, and a concrete exterior stairway and fourth door were located on the north side.  The large front (south) room contained a lab bench with a continuous fume hood along the west side and a lab table in the center.  The sample preparation room was behind this room at the northwest corner of the building. A third room, containing a sink, had no access to the other rooms and was entered from the east side exterior door.

Building Information

Year Built

1930

Fabric

Concrete foundation; brick bearing walls; asbestos shingle roof (originally slate); tile interior walls; plastered interior surfaces

Size

One story, 22’10” x 34’

Alterations

None

  • Building No. 164

    Here explosive substances were tested for chemicals given off during controlled heating. This work was removed from the main laboratory building because of the danger of explosion or fire. In this 1943 photograph, laboratory technician Eleanor Kanter is placing test tubes (shown in foreground) into the test apparatus under the fume hood.

Additional Building Photographs

Building No. 164Building No. 164
Building No. 164Building No. 164
Building No. 164Building No. 164

Building 164 Plans (click for zoomable image)

  • Building 164 Plan